Oakland’s four major hospitals add to our city's prominence in the healthcare sector:
- Alameda Health System
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
- UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
- Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center
Oakland is at the center of perhaps the world’s premier life sciences research area:
- Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI), garners more than $40 million each year in bioscience research funding.
- Twenty research institutions throughout the Bay Area--including UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, Stanford University, and three National Laboratories--engage in leading-edge work.
- More than 300 life sciences companies in the East Bay provide a tremendous customer and supplier base.
- Tax and other business advantages
- The large workforce is highly educated and highly productive —in Oakland, 37% hold a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
- A regional hub for major air cargo companies, Oakland International Airport is one of the nation’s top business commuter airports; nearby San Francisco International Airport is a major international hub.
- Quality of life is unsurpassed, with world class cultural activities, clubs, sports and the best-rated climate in the nation.
In 2009, the East Bay region was ranked fifth of states/areas receiving venture capital for medical devices. The region received $175 million.