Before jumping to the rescue
Assess the kittens’ apparent health:
- Does their fur look healthy, full and fluffy? OR Are they dirty? Sickly? Eyes crusty?
- Are they sleeping quietly? In a heap? OR Are they crying? Squalling?
- Are they dry? OR Are they wet/soaked?
Assess the environment. Are the kittens in immediate danger from:
- Rain? Wet weather/flooding? Cold?
- Wild animals? Raccoons? Dogs?
- Traffic – pedestrian foot traffic? Bicycles or cars? Mean neighbors/kids?
Take a look at this guide to determine if kittens need your help or not. Remember that removing very young kittens from Mama Cat greatly reduces their chances of survival even if you provide round-the-clock care.
Remove the kittens only if they are in immediate, grave danger or if they appear very sickly and ill.