File a Tenant Petition

Download PDF Version of Tenant Petition (New Version as of 1/8/2021 includes Required Notice to Property Owner and Proof of Service)

There are 3 ways for tenants to file petitions with the Rent Adjustment Program:

1.) By Email: If you are initiating a new petition, download and complete the petition document above. If you are initiating a new petition or have a case pending and need to submit petition-related documents, you must email the form and/or documents to RAP. You may email RAP at Once RAP has accepted your petition and/or petition-related documents, you will receive a confirmation email.

2.) By Mail: Due to the Shelter-in-Place Order, we are no longer accepting in-person petition applications and related materials in our office. All new petitions and petition-related documents can be submitted by mail to the address below:

Rent Adjustment Program

250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5313

Oakland, CA 94612

3.) Online Petition Filing: We also offer an online portal where you can submit your petitions and all petition-related forms online. To file a Tenant Petition online, click here. (Note: New Versions as of 10/22/2020 include Proof of Service).

**COVID-19 Related Service Update**

Due to the Shelter In Place Order issued on March 16, 2020, all drop-in housing counseling and workshops have been canceled.

Rent Program staff members remain available to assist members of the public by phone at (510) 238-3721 during normal business hours Monday-Friday, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm. Please leave a message and a housing counselor will return your call within 24 hours. You may also email us at

Tenants may challenge a loss of service if they believe it is more than the allowed increase. To challenge a loss of service, a tenant may file a petition for a service that:

  • is no longer offered;
  • used to be covered by property owners, but the tenant is now being charged for;
  • has changed substantially since move-in;
  • is a serious defect in the unit that affects the health or safety in the unit.

Tenants may challenge a rent increase if they believe the increase is more than what is allowable. To challenge a rent increase, a tenant must file a petition:

  • Within 90 days of receiving the notice of rent increase with a Rent Adjustment Program Notice
  • Within 120 days of receiving the notice of rent increase if the tenant did not receive the Rent Adjustment Program Notice
  • OR if at any time the tenant was not served with the Rent Adjustment Program Notice.

Here’s a checklist of what you, as a tenant, will need to file this petition:

  • Contact information for the property owner or property manager
  • Reasons you are filing the petition, based on a rent increase or loss of housing services.
  • Your rental history, including date of rent increase(s)
  • If applicable, description of lost housing services, the date when the housing service loss began, and estimated dollar value of housing service loss
  • Proof of Service: This is a stand-alone Proof of Service that can be used to serve all RAP documents that do not include a Proof of Service.