This website is a work in progress. If you'd like to give website feedback you can fill out our public survey here.

Respond to Owner Petition for Exemption

File Online

Call Code Compliance

(510) 238-3381

Tenants are able to contest their units exemption from the Rent Adjustment Program through filing a tenant petition.

  • It is extremely important to communicate all issues with your property owner.
  • Keep record of all communication, along with the dates. Email is one good way.
  • If there is no response from your property owner, you can call the Oakland Code Compliance office, Monday through Friday 9:00am-4:30pm.

To learn more about your rights regarding code violations contact a tenant right counselor or lawyer .

If your property owner has filed a petition against you, respond using the form that was mailed you.

You may attach any relevant documents to your response or up until 14 days before a scheduled hearing.