This website is a work in progress. If you'd like to give website feedback you can fill out our public survey here.

Get Placards or Plates from the DMV


Report Illegal Use of Placards or Plates

(510) 238-3099

You may be able to get a DP placard or license plate if you have one or more of the conditions:

  • You can't use one or both of your legs or both of your hands.
  • You have been diagnosed with an illness that makes it hard for you to move.
  • You have a serious disability and you rely on an device to help you move.
  • You have problems with your eyesight such as low-vision or partial sightedness

Illegal Use of Disabled Parking

Disabled Person placards and license plates can only be used by the person they were issued to. You should never:

  • Lend your DP placard to someone else
  • Use another person's DP placard
  • Have or display a fake DP placard or license plates

Misuse of DP placards or license plates can result in a hefty fine or ticket.

The City of Oakland does not issue DP placards or license plates. To get a DP placard or license plate you must apply with the California DMV.