You may be able to get a DP placard or license plate if you have one or more of the conditions:
- You can't use one or both of your legs or both of your hands.
- You have been diagnosed with an illness that makes it hard for you to move.
- You have a serious disability and you rely on an device to help you move.
- You have problems with your eyesight such as low-vision or partial sightedness
Illegal Use of Disabled Parking
Disabled Person placards and license plates can only be used by the person they were issued to. You should never:
- Lend your DP placard to someone else
- Use another person's DP placard
- Have or display a fake DP placard or license plates
Misuse of DP placards or license plates can result in a hefty fine or ticket.
The City of Oakland does not issue DP placards or license plates. To get a DP placard or license plate you must apply with the California DMV.