If you believe that an animal in Oakland is being abused or neglected, please call the Oakland Police Department Dispatch at 510-777-3333.
You will need to provide the dispatcher with the address where the animal is located, along with as much information about the situation as possible. Examples of abuse/neglect:
- Purposefully hurting an animal
- Not providing adequate food and/or regular access to fresh water
- Not providing shelter from the elements (including heat, cold and rain)
- Keeping a dog chained or tethered for over three hours
- Keeping an animal confined without room to exercise
When responding to reports of abuse or neglect, Animal Control Officers follow State and local laws.