WORK EXEMPT FROM A BUILDING PERMIT
Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any
work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or
ordinances of this jurisdiction. Building permits shall not be required for the following:
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses,
provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
2. Concrete or masonry fences not over 3 feet high and fences constructed of other materials when not
over 7 feet high. Fences over 42” high in the front setback will require zoning approval.
3. Oil derricks.
4. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of
the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
5. Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of
height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
6. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or
story below and are not part of an accessible route.
7. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
8. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
9. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches deep,
do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
10. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
11. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
12. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the
exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.
13. Non-fixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches in
14. Decks serving a Group R-3 occupancy that do not exceed 200 square feet area, that are not more than
30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling, do not serve the required exit door,
and do not serve as a door landing.