Traffic Signs and Markings
We contribute to the public's safety. We install, repair and replace traffic signs, poles and street markings on Oakland's public roads.
Report a Problem to 311Report
Facts About Oakland's Traffic Signs & Markings:
- Oakland has 200,000 traffic signs
- 3,600 miles of lane striping
- 400,000 linear feet of crosswalks
- 6,000 legends
- Reflectivity standards on all signs and longitudinal pavement markings are mandated by the Federal Highway Administration
Traffic signs are generally divided into four classifications:
- Regulatory (for example: Stop, Yield, No Parking and One Way signs)
- Warning (for example: Curve and Pedestrian Crossing signs)
- Guide (for example: Scenic Route signs)
- Destination (for example: street name signs)
Traffic markings include street striping, such as crosswalks, center lines, lane lines, street legends and curb markings, and markers, such as reflectors and ceramic markers. Striping is applied with specialized fast drying paint with reflective beads, highly reflective 3M Thermal Plastic Tape and Thermal plastic. Markers highlight traffic lanes in low light conditions and inclement weather.
Why Traffic Signs are Important
The U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, is the agency that sets all the rules and regulations of traffic signs for the United States. Years of statistics have been put to use in devising the traffic signs the City of Oakland uses today.
Traffic signs are an important part of any roadway. These signs provide critical information to drivers on the roadway. Traffic signs are a safety precaution as well as an informational resource. Keeping traffic signs well maintained and easily viewable is an important matter that benefits everyone. Traffic sign maintenance is an essential service that every community needs filled.
- Safety is the main reason traffic signs are posted along the roadways. Signs ensure that each driver is aware of the rules and hazards of the road. Without signs such as "stop and yield" many more accidents would occur.
- Efficiency is another important factor in road signs. Signs ensure cars move at the correct speed and in the correct direction to keep traffic flowing uniformly.
- Warnings Road signs give drivers warning of potential hazards they may encounter on the road. Signs prepare the motorist for what they will encounter around each corner.
- Direction Destinations are easily found using the traffic signs that are posted for motorists as they travel the roadways. Even with the latest technology of GPS units, without signs pointing out locations and directions, people would be constantly lost and emergency services (Police, Fire and Medical) would have a difficult time reaching their destinations.