Science and Boating Teacher for Outdoor Program - Elementary Grades (Oakland downtown)
Position Offered- Sailing Into Science Instructor (Rec. Spec. I, PT)
Starting at $21.53 plus $2.90 health and welfare/hr for 12-35 hours per week Monday-Friday;
Mid-February through mid-June. Possible summer and fall work also available.
Sailing Into Science is an outdoor science program that provides Oakland youth with hands-on education utilizing Lake Merritt's unique environment for science and boating. Elementary school groups experience rich entry points into the worlds of life science, earth science, physics, chemistry, and nautical science. Each class dedicates the day to a science topic engaging in activities in the program's classrooms as well as experiments and observations on and around Lake Merritt. More information at: http://www.sailoakland.com
Requirements for Application: Any combination of experience and education demonstrating required knowledge and abilities.
Applicants MUST be 18 years of age or older.
-College-level science education in environmental science, marine biology, physical science, or other related field.
- An enthusiastic interest or experience teaching marine biology, physical science, or environmental science
- Ability to engage students in learning an experiential education curriculum outdoors and in the classroom
- Accustomed to adapting as circumstances change (weather, students' interest levels, etc.)
- Ability to use games to solidify learning and teamwork skills- Human-powered boating experience (kayaks, canoes, pedal boats, dragonboats, whaleboats, or rowboats); boating instruction experience a plus
- Small motorboat experience (outboard-driven whalers and pontoon boats)
- Outdoor activities require physical abilities such as lifting 50lbs, operating a motorboat, capsize recovery, and operating heavy machinery
- Experience leading or teaching youth or outdoor camps preferred
- Guiding up to 35 fifth grade students through a multi-day outdoor science program on and around Lake Merritt using canoeing, kayaking, and pedal boating
- Collaborating and developing science curriculum and boating activities
- Preparing classroom science materials and boats before and after each class
Qualified candidates should submit an application at:
The City of Oakland is an EEO/ADA Employer. Please read the City of Oakland's Employment Information Pamphlet, which can be viewed online, prior to applying for a position in the City of Oakland.