The amount of the grant will vary depending on when the restaurant opened and the restaurant's revenue amounts, but will not exceed $10 million per restaurant group or $5 million per individual restaurant. Restaurants that opened during 2020 may apply for grants to cover eligible expenses incurred. Businesses that received a PPP loan will be eligible for these grants, however, the amount of PPP loans received in 2020 will be subtracted. Those businesses that receive or have a pending application for a shuttered venue operators grant are not eligible.
Grants may be used for:
- Payroll and benefits (not including employee compensation exceeding $100,000/year)
- Mortgage or rent
- Maintenance and construction to accommodate outdoor seating
- Supplies (including PPE and cleaning materials)
- Food and beverage expenses
- Operational expenses
- Sick leave
- Other expenses deemed essential by the Administrator
It has been reported that for the first 3 weeks of the application period, SBA will prioritize awarding grants to small businesses owned and operated by women, veterans and socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.