Other Creek and Watershed Permitting Organizations

Any project on a creek property may also require approval from other regulatory agencies relating to watershed protection.

Posted: August 31st, 2018 3:44 PM

Last Updated: January 20th, 2021 8:01 PM

Check with the following agencies to see if a permit is required for your project.

City of Oakland Permit Center
250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 238-3443

The Permit Center can help you identify the permits you need, assist you with the application process, help you move your permits through review and approval process, and inform you about new, cost-effective environmental compliance technologies.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
333 Market Street, 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105-2197
(415) 977-8461

The Corps permit is required for work in a creek bed or within the high water or high tide line of any water text. Call the Corps to obtain a Permit Application Packet.

California Department of Fish and Game
P.O. Box 47, Yountville, CA 94599
(707) 944-5520 or (707) 944-5586

The California Department of Fish and Game has jurisdiction over any work in the riparian corridor. Work in, on, over or under the creek between the streambed sloping upwards to the top of the bank and beyond to the boundary of the riparian corridor. The Department of Fish and Game requires a Streambed Alteration Agreement (SAA) for projects that will divert or obstruct the natural flow of water, change the bed, channel or bank of any creek, or propose to remove any material from a creekbed.

San Francisco Water Quality Control Board
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1400, Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 622-2300

The Regional Board's overall mission is to protect surface and groundwaters of the San Francisco Bay Region. The Regional Board requires permits for any project that may potentially adversely affect the creek or waterway.