Public Ethics Commission Jurisdiction
The Commission oversees compliance with Oakland law governing:
- Campaign Finance
- Financial Conflicts of Interest by Public Officials
- Lobbyist Registration and Reporting
- Post-Governmental Employment
- Misuse of City Resources
- Gifts and Honoraria given to Public Officials and Candidates
- Public Meetings and Public Records
The PEC has primary responsibility for the fair and effective administration of the following laws:
Provides a comprehensive framework of ethics and conflict of interest rules for public servants.
Encourages limits on campaign spending and seeks to reduce the influence of large contributions on election outcomes.
Provides partial public funding to City Council District candidates to promote a fair and equal opportunity to participate in elective and governmental processes.
Promotes access to government documents and timely notice of public meetings.
Requires registration and activity disclosure for individuals and groups that influence public decisions by lobbying City public servants