NOTICE: The mayors of Oakland & San Francisco have challenged each other to a Battle for the Bay on Creek to Bay Day, Sept. 21.
Police Cadet Hiring
The Oakland Police Department is committed to mentoring and assisting interested individuals for successful law enforcement careers.
Learn and apply for the Police Cadet position. This link is provided for informational purposes; the position may not be open for new applications at this time.Police Cadet Position
Get Your Associate's or Bachelor's Degree, Get Paid, and Learn About a Law Enforcement Career
The primary intent of the Pathway to Public Safety (Police Cadet) Program is to assist youth in completing college degrees while learning about law enforcement. The program prepares cadets for different types of law enforcement careers (sworn and professional), particularly within the Oakland Police Department.
You must meet these minimum qualifications at the time of your application to the Police Cadet Program:
- Age: At least 17.5 but no older than 20.5 at the time of appointment
- Education: High school senior or attending college:
- High school: Must be a senior planning to attend an accredited community college, junior college, college or university the next regular quarter or semester following graduation from high school
- College: Must be a student in good standing attending an accredited community college, junior college, college or university
- License: Must possess a valid unrestricted California driver's license
- Record: No felony convictions