Please Review the Complete Guidelines for this Grant Opportunity Linked Above.
For Festivals that will take place between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023
Application Portal Opens: Monday May 16, 2022 - 10AM PST
Thursday July 7, 2022 - 5PM PST. Late applications will not be accepted.
Neighborhood Voices for Festivals amplifies the cultural expressions, stories, and heritage found within Oakland's neighborhoods and their community members who historically have not received equitable investments of resources or recognition.
Neighborhood Voices for Festivals encourages applications from Oakland-based community builders that are focused on building neighborhood vibrancy and community cohesion. Festivals to be supported may include, but are not limited to: cultural heritage practices, performances in dance, music or theater, visual art and public arts exhibitions/events, and literary presentations, that are rooted in a sense of place.
Applications from the following are encouraged:
- Festivals that lift-up the cultural identity of a people or the historical significance of a neighborhood;
- Racial/ethnic-specific communities or other types of communities that are under-recognized or lack visibility in Oakland;
- Festivals in neighborhoods with few formal cultural resources (such as, cultural centers, performance venues, art galleries, cultural education programs, etc.); and
- Partners who are deeply grounded and engaged in the neighborhood where the festival is based.
Individuals are ineligible for this grant category. Sporting events, Conferences, Symposiums and Summits are also not eligible for this grant opportunity.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. I am conducting a special event. Can I apply for festival support?
If you are conducting a single standing event, such as a performance or concert, this would not qualify as a festival.
Some examples of festivals we have supported in the past include Dia De Los Muertos, Malcolm X Jazz Arts Festival, and Oaklash. These festivals have multiple events, performances, community resources, vendors, and various activities the public can engage in. Festivals with these components are also frequently called Block parties or Parades.
2. I am conducting multiple festivals, can I apply to receive support for all of them?
No. This grant program will support one festival only. If you have a festival series, you will need to indicate in your application which festival of the series you are applying to receive support for.
3. If a festival goes longer than one day, will the grant cover all days?
Yes. This grant will cover all days if they are within a consecutive time period (for example: Friday through Sunday). This grant opportunity will not cover multiple festivals as noted above.
4. Our organization budget is also our entire festival budget. Is this OK?
Yes. If the main purpose of your organization is to conduct this festival, you can submit your organization's budget as part of the application.5.
5. If my festival is recommended to receive a grant, can I expedite the process to receive my grant check ASAP?
No. The City requires all steps in the approval and contracting process to be completed before a check can be issued. For information on grantee contractual requirements, please review the FY2022-23 Neighborhood Voices for Festivals Guidelines.
6. I need help with the City’s permitting process. Can Cultural Affairs help?
Special Events permits are currently approved by OPD and handled by a different Division. Please reach out to us with whatever questions you may have and we can try to point you in the right direction.
For all inquires related to this grant opportunity, please contact Raquel Iglesias at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 238-2212