Info: The mayors of Oakland & San Francisco have challenged each other to a Battle for the Bay on Creek to Bay Day, Sept. 21.
Level 3 Use of Force (UOF)
Level 3 UOF represents the 3rd most severe level of force (1 being most severe and 1 being most severe). Read below to learn more about Level 3 UOF as well as OPD UOF definitions and policies.
Learn more about how OPD UOF definitions and policiesDefinitions and Policies
Level 3 Uses of Force include the following:
- Oleoresin capsicum (pepper) spray or other chemical agent applied to a person
- Any use of an electronic control device when:
- One or more probes impact or penetrate the subject’s clothing or skin
- When the push stun arc touches the subject’s clothing or skin
- When an electronic control device is fired at a subject and misses
- Any use of an impact weapon or other instrument when no contact is made
- Any non-striking use of a baton, such as prying limbs apart, moving, or controlling a person
- Any of the following weaponless defense techniques: hand, palm, or elbow strikes; kicks; leg sweeps; takedowns
- Any on-duty firearm discharge at an animal other than to dispatch an injured animal