The three most common exemptions from RAP are:
- Government-subsidized housing
- Units built after January 1, 1983
- Single family homes or condominiums exempt under the Costa Hawkins Rental Housing Act
The following units are exempt from the RAP:
- Subsidized Housing.
- Motels, hotels if occupancy not more than 30 days.
- Hospital, dormitory, extended care facility, etc.
- Non-profit cooperative owned and occupied by majority of residents.
- New construction (built after January 1st, 1983)
- Substantial rehabilitation.
- The unit that an owner occupies in any building.
- Non-profit facility-homeless/substance abuse treatment.
- Unit in trust for the developmentally disabled.
- Shared facilities with owner and tenants (bath/kitchen).
- Costa Hawkins-Single family home or condominium.
- Vacant units