The City of Oakland received $36.9 million in California State allocated CARES Act funding. $5 million of those funds were allotted for renter and homeowner relief through the Keep Oakland Housed (KOH) partnership of KOH nonprofit partners plus other nonprofit organizations. This funding will provide one-time financial assistance to low income renters and homeowners impacted by COVID-19. The application period opens on September 1, 2020.
Keep Oakland Housed COVID-19 Relief Financial Assistance
Have you lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are at risk of losing your home? Oakland residents may be eligible for financial assistance to pay rent and other housing costs.
Last Updated: September 2nd, 2020 @ 3:47 PM
The program is managed by the City’s Housing & Community Development (HCD) Department. The KOH partnership will disperse funds to eligible applicants. Each nonprofit will lead the application process for their organization.
Visit each individual nonprofit site for more details.
- Bay Area Community Services (BACS)* | www.bayareacs.org | (510) 899-9289 (call) | (510) 759-4877 (text) | Visit to apply: housing.bayareacs.org
- Catholic Charities East Bay* | www.cceb.org | (510) 768-3100
- Centro Legal de la Raza | www.centrolegal.org | (510) 422-5669
*Keep Oakland Housed (KOH) nonprofit partner
Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA) | www.heraca.org | (510) 271-8443 x300
All applicants must provide:
- Valid government issued identification
- Proof of Oakland residency, such as utility bill
- Proof of income documentation, such as pay stubs
- Current residential lease agreement or other evidence of tenancy such as rent receipts or other proof of paying rent/ownership documents
- Documentation of COVID-19 related loss of income or increased expenses, or an affidavit
Applicants must be:
- A current Oakland resident.
- At risk of losing your home.
- A low-income individual or household
For details on eligibility, see the list below:
Maximum Income Per Household
- One Person: $73,100
- Two Person: $83,500
- Three Person: $94,000
- Four Person: $104,000
- Five Person: $112,800
- Six Person: $121,150
- Seven Person: $129,500
- Eight Person: $137,850
Funding is extremely limited, and applications will be prioritized based on need, severity of COVID-19 impact, and funding availability.
The City of Oakland’s Moratorium on Evictions remains in place until the lifting of the local emergency order by the City Council. For more information, visit the City’s website at: https://www.oaklandca.gov/documents/emergency-moratorium-on-rent-increases-and-evictions-faq
For more information contact: City of Oakland Housing and Community Development, Housing Resource Center at (510) 238-6182.
This content is also available as downloads in Chinese, Spanish, and Vietnamese.