Frequently Asked Questions

Posted: August 16th, 2021 12:47 PM

Last Updated: September 15th, 2021 7:48 AM

A bank told me I am on ChexSystems. What does this mean and how do I get a copy of my ChexSystems report?

A copy of your ChexSystems report can help you understand why you have been denied opening a bank account. If you have been denied in the past 60 days because of ChexSystems, you can access your report online. Otherwise you can write to ChexSystems, Inc. to send you your report. Click here to access your report.

I have no idea what my credit is like. Where can I get a copy of my credit report?

You are entitled to one free credit report from each of the three credit bureaus (Transunion, Experion, and Equifax) every year. You can request and view your report online. Click here to view your report.

I think my identity has been stolen. Where can I find help with identity theft?

The Federal Trade Commission provides an entire Web site about identity theft, including how to prevent identity theft and how to recover your identity if it has been stolen. Click here to visit the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site “Fighting Back Against Identity Theft.”

The Federal Reserve Bank has also published a guide on “How to Establish, Use, and Protect your Credit.” Click here to view the guide.

I am having trouble paying my bills; how can I reduce my debt?

Call Money Management International (MMI) a nonprofit financial resource center that offers tools to help you set and achieve financial goals. Click here to visit their Web site

If your goal is to eliminate or manage your debt, MMI also offers free, confidential consultations to help you achieve this goal. Click here for Debt Relief

Having trouble with debts? Need help understanding your credit or improving it? Having trouble opening a credit union or bank account? Contact HERA at 510 271-8443 ext. 300 and leave a message.

I am worried I might need to declare bankruptcy; where can I go for help?

In the East Bay area, you can call Money Management International (MMI), a nonprofit financial resource center that offers tools to help you set and achieve financial goals. If your goal is to avoid filing for bankruptcy or to understand the bankruptcy process, they will counsel you through the process. Click here for Bankruptcy Counseling

I have a mortgage and now I am worried about being foreclosed; who can I call?

You are not alone. Call Money Management International (MMI) for a counselor who can understand your situation and help with your next steps. You can also click here to visit their Web site.

I am a Mexican citizen and I don’t have a California driver’s license. How do I get a Mexican Matricula card?

To apply for a Matricula card from the San Francisco Mexican Consulate office, you must make an appointment with the Consulate. Click here to access their Web site and learn about eligibility requirements and how to make an appointment.

Additional Resources

Use this list of resources to get help reducing your everyday expenses, claim all of the credits and benefits you are owed, and start building assets for the future.

Free Tax Preparation
Earn it Keep it Save it (EKS) provides free high-quality tax return preparation for Bay Area families with incomes less than $56,000. EKS sites are located throughout the Bay Area. Click here to visit their website.

Food Assistance
The Alameda County Food Bank can help you find delicious affordable food near you! Call the Alameda County Community Food Bank at (510) 635-3663 or click here to visit their website.

Help with Utility Bills
You may be eligible for help with your gas and electric bill. For more information, call Spectrum Community Services, Inc. at 510.881.0300 or click here to visit their website.

Rental Assistance
Get help paying overdue rent, avoiding eviction, or applying for a security deposit to move into permanent housing. For more information, call 2-1-1 or click here to visit the Housing is Key website.