Planning on opening a business in Oakland? Check whether the Zoning at a specific address allows for the type of business you are starting by calling the Zoning Hotline at (510) 238-3911.
Before you sign a lease on your new location, be sure you understand the business, zoning, planning, and building permitting needs of your business and the space you have selected.
- What kind of location is the best for your target customers? Who walks by and who comes to visit the neighborhood you are considering?
- How much space will you need for your business?
- What kind of space will you need? Will you have special plumbing or electricity needs? Will you need a kitchen?
- What are the terms of the lease?
- How much can you afford to pay for your location? Are there specific problems or issues you will need to address in the lease?
- How much parking do you need?
City of Oakland staff, commercial brokers, website listings and shopping district leaders can all help you find a good location for your Oakland-based business. Contact the City of Oakland Business Assistance Center (BAC) for market analysis, neighborhood profiles, demographic reports, and other kinds of advice and support.