Based on feedback gathered during the first meeting, these affiliates will select into smaller working groups to develop targeted recommendations. These are proposed along the following topics:
Re-opening Businesses and Building a Better Economy
Short-Term – Advise on: policy and regulatory changes to help businesses reopen safely; funding gaps and disparities in access to funding; technical support, in three Working Groups:
- Phase II – Lower-Risk Workplaces – “Gradually reopen retail (curbside only), manufacturing & logistics. Later, relax retail restrictions, adapt & reopen schools, childcare, offices & limited hospitality, personal services.”
- Phase III – Higher-Risk Workplaces – “Adapt and reopen movie theaters, religious services, & more personal & hospitality services.”
- Phase IV – End Stay Home Order – “Reopen areas of highest risk: e.g. Concerts, conventions, sports arenas.”
Long-Term – Advise on: cultivation of and support for new business opportunities and industry clusters; support for the Healthcare Industry; pathway to rebuild, renew and envision a more equitable economy; local resilience and strengthening local business networks.
Creating a Healthy Workforce
- Short Term – Advise on: worker health and safety, minimizing coronavirus exposure, immediate hiring opportunities.
- Long Term – Advise on: methods to address racial and gender disparities in the workforce, worker safety net, and training for future jobs.
The goal for the first meeting is to hear from the Advisory Council on desired working groups and topics. After the first convening, staff will send a survey to define working group membership and identify leaders. We invite Advisory Council members to select their working group leaders to facilitate the breakout discussions, with support from staff.
Working Groups should meet at least once prior to the next Advisory Council meeting in two weeks. Working Groups will then meet independently, at a minimum of two times per month, and report back to the large group monthly.
The Advisory Council will meet for the next six months to develop short- and long-term recommendations.