Do I Need To Register My Unit?

In 2022, the Oakland City Council adopted a requirement to establish a rent registry for all units subject to the Rent Adjustment Program (RAP) Fee, which went into effect July 3, 2023. Owners were required to report rent and tenancy information for covered units for the first time by July 3, 2023. Owners will be required to update and/or confirm existing tenancy information no later than July 1, 2024. Starting in 2025: Owners must confirm and/or update their units’ registered tenancy information annually by March 1.

Posted: July 5th, 2023 12:00 AM

Last Updated: May 2nd, 2024 2:25 PM

Live Counseling Sessions for Rent Registry:  RAP will offer twice-weekly live counseling sessions through July 1, 2024 to help answer any rent registry questions you may have! Starting Monday, April 29, live counseling sessions will take place on:

Mondays: 10:00am-11:30am

Wednesdays: 10:00am-11:30am

Click here to join during the scheduled timeframes.

Which Units Need to be Registered?

All units subject to the RAP fee must be registered. This includes units that are covered by the Rent Adjustment Ordinance AND/OR the Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance. The following units are subject to these ordinances and must be registered when rented or available for rent:

  • Units in multifamily (2+ units) properties built prior to April 1, 2014. A multifamily property is ANY property with 2 or more dwelling units. Includes single-family homes that also have an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), junior ADU, “in-law” unit, cottage unit, or any other additional residential dwelling unit(s).
  • Rented ADUs or “in-law” units that meet any of the following conditions:
  1. The unit was created from existing residential space in a dwelling unit that was built prior to April 1, 2014.
  2. The unit is ground-up new construction AND received a Certificate of Occupancy prior to April 1, 2014. Please provide the year the Certificate of Occupancy was issued.
  3. The unit has not received a Certificate of Occupancy.
  • Condominium units built prior to April 1, 2014.
  • Single-family homes built prior to April 1, 2014.
  • Individually rented rooms in a single-family home, where the owner is renting out the rooms under individual lease agreements. Each room rented under an individual lease agreement must be registered as a separate dwelling unit if the tenancy is more than 30 days. Includes owner-occupied properties where owner shares kitchen or bath with tenants.
  • Single-room occupancy (boarding or rooming house, hotel, tourist house) in properties built prior to April 1, 2014, where the tenancy is more than 30 days.
  • Vehicular residential facilities (VRFs) or tiny homes on wheels where rent is charged for 1) the VRF and the space where the VRF is located, or 2) just the space where the VRF is located.

Which Units Can Be Claimed Exempt?

The following units are not subject to the RAP fee and may be claimed exempt from the registration requirement. Please note: All exemption claims are subject to verification.

  • Owner Occupied: Units that are fully owner-occupied; no room in the unit is rented in exchange for occupancy. Proof of residency, such as a utility bill, photo ID, voter ID, or medical record, is required.
  • Hotel: An accommodation in a motel, hotel, inn, tourist house, rooming house or boarding house, that is not occupied by the same tenant for thirty (30) or more consecutive days.
  • Unavailable for Rent: Units that are vacant and unavailable for rent for the entire fiscal year (July 1-June 30). A written explanation is required.
  • Hospital/Treatment: Hospitals and healthcare facilities. Includes nonprofit-owned treatment facilities where the occupancy is contingent on the tenant’s participation in a residential treatment program.
  • Transitional Homeless: Units provided to assist homeless individuals transitioning to permanent housing; occupancy cannot be more than 24 months, and the tenant must be informed of the temporary nature of the housing.
  • New Construction: Any unit or property which is ground-up new construction and has received a Certificate of Occupancy on or after April 1, 2014. To qualify for this exemption, owner must submit copy of Certificate of Occupancy issued on or after April 1, 2014, or a Certificate of Exemption issued by RAP on or after December 31, 2022, certifying that the property is exempt from both the Rent Adjustment Ordinance and the Just Cause Ordinance. Note: Certificate of Occupancy MUST be for ground-up new construction, and not for a unit created from existing space.
  • Publicly Owned/Operated: Any property owned/operated by the City of Oakland, Oakland Redevelopment Successor Agency, or Oakland Housing Authority.

Have Questions About the Rent Registry?

Contact the Registration team at Please include the property address you are inquiring about. Or call a RAP staff member at (510) 238-3721 during our normal business hours: Monday through Thursday, from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.