Apply for Assistance

Resources for Head Start families looking for assistance.

Posted: June 10th, 2020 11:05 AM

Last Updated: January 20th, 2021 7:53 PM

Our staff can help you fill out applications for Unemployment, CalFRESH (SNAP), WIC, CalWORKS, and Rental/Utility Assistance. For more information, check out the links below, and please reach out with any questions-- we are here for you!

  • Unemployment Insurance, through the State of California. You can apply for Unemployment Insurance if you are recently unemployed and are ready and able to go back to work. Due to COVID-19, you are not required to look for work each week to receive benefits.
  • Apply for CalFRESH, helping low-income families in California access healthy and nutritious food. CalFresh is the California-specific program of the national Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
  • Visit the California Department of Public Health's program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). To qualify for WIC, you must meet specific income guidelines and be pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a baby or child 0 - 5 years old. Babies and children cared for by their fathers, foster parents, or other guardians can also receive WIC benefits. WIC is a nation-wide program that provides resources for about half of all infants born in the United States-- learn more here!
  • CalWorks offers monthly assistance to families with children lacking parental support because of unemployment, disability, absence or death of a parent. CalWorks also supports caretaker relatives of foster children.
  • EBT cards can be used online for CalWorks/CalFresh at Walmart and Amazon. Delivery is available, although there are additional fees through Walmart. Delivery is free from Amazon if you order more than $35 of groceries. For more information visit:
  • Visit Eden I&R to find resources specific to Alameda County for housing, rent, and utility assistance.