Oakland residents and visitors use 27th Street, Bay Place, Harrison Street, and Grand Avenue to travel to Lake Merritt, grocery stores, places of worship, and more. Residents here commute by biking, walking, and public transit more often than other Oaklanders. 15% of residents in the area walk or bike to work, and 34% take transit.
Grand Avenue and 27th Street are part of the City’s High Injury Network (the 6% of Oakland’s streets where 63% of severe and fatal collisions occur). There have been 87 collisions within the project area since 2012, including one pedestrian death. People walking and biking make up the majority of all people harmed by crashes within the project area (20.7% and 40% respectively).
There are two separate streetscape projects ongoing in this area - both projects were developed from community feedback and recommendations made in the 2014 Broadway Valdez District Specific Plan and the 2019 “Let’s Bike Oakland!” Bike Plan. The projects are:
- 27th Street and Bay Place Project
- Lakeside Family Streets (improvements on Harrison and Grand)
The 27th and Bay Place Project includes:
- Protected bike lanes on 27th Street between Telegraph Avenue and Harrison Street/Bay Place
- Buffered bike lanes on Bay Place between Harrison Street and Grand Avenue
- Simplified driving lanes and shorter crossing distances at the intersections of Grand Ave and Bay Place, Grand Ave and Harrison Street, and 27th Street and Harrison Street
- Planted medians along 27th Street and Bay Place
- Slip lane closure at Grand/Bay
The Lakeside Family Streets Project (Harrison between 20th St. and Bay Place, and Grand Ave between Harrison and Bay Place) includes:
- A two-way cycle track on Harrison from 21st to Grand (west side), and on Grand Avenue between Harrison Street and Bay Place (south side), extending the two-way cycletrack around the Lake from Lakeside Dr/Madison St to Grand/Bay.
- Protected bike lanes on Harrison Street between Thomas L Berkeley Way/21st Street and 27th Street (both directions)
- Protected bike lane on Grand Ave between Bay and Harrison (north side)
- Protected intersection at Harrison/Grand