Alert: An Air Quality Advisory has been issued for the entire Bay Area. The current air quality in Oakland is UNHEALTHY. Stay inside. Limit outdoor activities.
This list of applications and resources are provided for your convenience, however, you should contact the Zoning Information Hotline at (510) 238-3911 or visit the Permit Center to talk to a planner than can advise you on the permits your project may require. Proposals may involve multiple permit approvals depending on the complexity of the land use issues and location of the proposed project.
- Basic Application Form This application form is required for all planning & zoning permits except for Pre-applications.
- Zoning Clearance Form (for Business License) The first step to permitting a new business (including a home-based business) is the approval by the Planning Department of a Zoning Clearance.
- Pre-application form Pre-applications are optional and allow you an opportunity to submit your preliminary plans for review by an assigned case planner.
- Appeal Application Form Appeal of a decision to the Planning Commission or City Council
- Creek Determination application form A Creek Determination may be requested to identify whether or not a property within the City of Oakland is a creekside property, and therefore subject to regulation by the Creek Protection Ordinance.
- Creek Protection Permit Application Form Creek Protection Permit is required for any proposed construction activity occurring on a creekside property. The extent to which your development will be regulated by the Creek Protection Ordinance depends upon the location and type of proposed work.
Environmental Review (CEQA)
Subdivisions, PUD’s, and Parcel Map Waivers
- Supplemental requirements for Parcel Map Waivers (PMW)
- Supplemental requirements for Planned Unit Developments (PUD)
- Supplemental requirements for Tentative Parcel Maps (TPM)
- Supplemental requirements for Tentative Tract Maps (TTM)
- TPM and TTM approval findings
- Mini-lot subdivision – CUP findings
- Shared Access Facilities – CUP findings (applies to Private Access Easements)
- Subdivision between buildings – CUP findings
Conditional Use Permits (CUP)
- Conditional Use Permit findings for all CUP applications
- Supplemental Activities Questionnaire
- CUP findings for specific zones:
- CUP findings for specific uses:
- Adult entertainment activities
- Alcohol, Fast Food and Convenience Markets
- Demolition of rooming units or dwelling units
- Drive-through facilities
- Electroplating facilities
- Hotels and motels
- Live-work facilities
- Microwave dishes and energy production facilities
- Residential care facilities
- Secondary Units
- Secondary Units (located on narrow streets)
- Senior housing (density bonus)
- Telecommunications facilities (Micro facilities)
- Telecommunications facilities (Mini facilities)
- Telecommunications facilities (Macro facilities)
- Telecommunications facilities (Monopole facilities)
- CUP findings for specific situations:
- Expansion of a use into an adjacent zone
- Five or more bedrooms in a single-family dwelling
- Increased density or FAR in high-rise residential developments
- Increased density or FAR with the acquisition of development rights
- Mini-lot subdivisions
- Parking reduction for senior housing, dormitories, or facilities with shared parking areas
- Second kitchen in a single-family dwelling
- Subdivision between buildings
- Tandem parking
Design Review (DR)
- Design Review findings for all residential design review applications
- Design Review findings for all non-residential design review applications
- Design Review findings for all landmark design review applications
- Design Review checklist for all solar panel design review applications
- Design Review findings for specific zones:
- Design Review findings for specific uses:
General Plan Amendments