Funding Advisory Committee Members
Program Officer, Akonadi Foundation
Jim Santi Owen
American Percussionists, Producer, Educator and Performer
Director, Arts Strategy & Ventures, Kenneth Rainin Foundation
Organizer, Arts for a Better Bay Area
Barbara Mumby Huerta
Senior Program Officer, San Francisco Arts Commission
Senior Program Officer, East Bay Community Foundation
Executive Director, Dancers' Group
Curatorial Assistant, Oakland Museum of California
Meeting Schedule, Agendas & Minutes
The Committee meets quarterly in Hearing Room 1, Oakland City Hall, 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, from 6:00 to 7:30 PM. The meetings are typically held on the 2nd Wednesday of January, April, July and October.
*Due to Alameda County’s Shelter-In-Place Order, in-person meetings are currently suspended. We are monitoring the Orders and will update this web page when in-person meetings are allowed to resume. In the meantime, all of the Funding Advisory Committee public meetings will be held via Zoom. A URL link will be provided on the Wednesday preceding the meeting.
Pursuant to the Governor's Executive Order N-29-20, all members of the Funding Advisory Committee and Cultural Affairs Division will join the meeting via phone/video conference and no teleconference locations are required.
Or iPhone one-tap: US: +14086380968, 99022829312# or +16699006833, 99022829312#
Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 301 715 8592 Webinar ID: 990 2282 9312
Public Comment Instructions
There are three ways to submit public comments. • eComment. To send your comment directly to Cultural Affairs Division staff BEFORE the meeting via email NBalram@oaklandca.gov • To comment by Zoom video conference, click the “Raise Your Hand” button to request to speak when Public Comment is being taken. You will be permitted to speak during your turn, allowed to comment, and after the allotted time, re-muted. Instructions on how to “Raise Your Hand” is available at: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/205566129 - Raise-Hand-In-Webinar. • To comment by phone, please call on one of the above listed phone numbers. You will be prompted to “Raise Your Hand” by pressing “*9” to speak when Public Comment is taken. You will be permitted to speak during your turn, allowed to comment, and after the allotted time, re-muted. Please unmute your self by pressing *6. If you have any questions, please email Neha Balram, Program Analyst for the Cultural Affairs Division at NBalram@oaklandca.gov.
January 8, 2020 Agenda Minutes
November 26, 2019 Agenda Minutes
April 11, 2018 Cancelled
For Agendas and Minutes prior to those listed here, please visit our Funding Advisory Committee Agendas & Minutes Archive page.
Goals & Duties
- Advise Cultural Arts Programs staff and City Council on matters affecting City of Oakland funding programs, policies and procedures
- Assist in the development and/or revision of funding policies and review procedures for the Cultural Funding Program
- Assist in the creation of a pool of qualified individuals to serve as peer panelists, and serve as funding review panelists when available; review and approve panelists’ qualifications
- Be vigilant in monitoring the balance of diversity and opportunity when considering all aspects of the Cultural Funding Program
- Review funding panel recommendations and forward recommendations, through a staff report, to City Council and/or its Life Enrichment Committee
- Hear appeals from applicants
- Annually evaluate, with staff, the funding review process (including applications, guidelines, policies, procedures, and outreach) through solicitation of input from the public; make recommendations for revisions as needed
- Serve on subcommittees of the FAC, as needed
- Encourage and assist in the development of support for individual artists and nonprofit arts organizations within Oakland