If you have a Chromebook, please see these instructions.
Note: if you already have VPN access, please disregard this information.
- Open a Help Desk ticket and request VPN access.
- Wait for confirmation from the Help Desk that you have been granted VPN access.
- To get started, you’ll need to perform a one-time download of Global Protect software on your laptop or home computer.
- Click one of the following links depending on your system. If you search for “System,” you’ll be able to determine if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit system.
64-bit system: [Primary], [Alternate]
32-bit system: [Primary], [Alternate]
Mac OS: [Primary], [Alternate]
- Download the appropriate version of the Global Protect agent.
- Complete installation of Global Protect.
- Once installation is complete, open Global Protect. At the Welcome to Global Protect window, enter “oaksecure.oaklandca.gov” and click connect. Note: do not include “https” at the start of the web address.
- At the sign in window, use your “9” username, e.g. smith9m, and your normal Oakland network password to gain access.