Alert: An Air Quality Advisory has been issued for the entire Bay Area. The current air quality in Oakland is UNHEALTHY. Stay inside. Limit outdoor activities.
Staff is committed to a risk-based approach that protects human health and environmental resources while minimizing costs.
- Write, maintain and update Hazardous Materials Business Plans for 45 facilities
- Design, maintain and update Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans for the City’s three operations and maintenance yards
- Design, maintain and update Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasure Plans for five large-capacity above-ground storage tanks
- Test leak protection equiment and upgrade, as needed, 40 fuel tanks for Police, Fire and Public Works operations.
- Oversee the proper collection and disposal of hazardous wastes produced by City operations
- Develop water conservation plans to reduce water usage and associated costs at City facilities
- Obtain regulatory permits for stationary sources of air emissions, including 20 emergency generators, 13 fuel tanks, two paint booths and two fire pumps
- Lead efforts to obtain Green Business Certification for City facilities under the Alameda County Green Business Program
- Perform human health and ecological risk assessments related to hazardous materials impacting subsurface infrastructure improvements, facility renovations and the redevelopment of brownfields
- Design and manage the cleanup of hazardous materials, such as contaminated soil and groundwater, asbestos and lead paint