The Planning & Building Department issues Electrical Permits for the installation of Electrical Vehicle (EV) Chargers. EV Charger equipment that weighs more than 400 lbs with a center of mass more than 4’ above floor level must be anchored per an engineered design and requires a Building Permit.
- Application Worksheet for Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) Permits (Required)
- Building Permit Application (Required for larger projects with anchoring work needing structural engineering design review.)
- For Multi-Family and Nonresidential Infrastructure projects, please also review Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Requirements for New Multi-Family and Nonresidential Buildings
- For commercial/non-residential projects requiring Building Permits, be sure to address any accessibility issues that may also be required (see our Accessibility Checklist for Construction Plans for more information)
- Request for Overtime Plan Check (Optional upon request by the applicant.)
Follow the instructions below for submitting your application materials. Permits for more complex installations may take up to 21 days to process. Shorter processing times may be possible if overtime review is requested (see Request for Overtime Plan Check form above). Be sure to complete all applications and provide any additional supporting documents.
EV Charger installations are only subject to administrative review for health and safety requirements. The City of Oakland will not require homeowner association (if present) approval for permit issuance.
Once the project is ready for corrections, a single report of corrections and deficiencies will be provided.
- Apply for Electrical Permits: Residential (1-2 residential units) | Commercial/Large Residential (3+ residential units)
- If your project has anchoring work needing structural engineering design review, you must also submit a Building Worksheet. In the Worksheet, upload your completed Building Permit Application and all associated plans and documents.
- If you are requesting overtime staff hours for expedited review, please also include a completed Request for Overtime Plan Check form.
Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. If your plans are approved, we will contact you to issue your permit. For the latest processing estimates, please see our Average Permit Processing Turnaround Times webpage.
Questions? Call (510) 238-3891 or email us via our Permit Questions Portal. You may also schedule an appointment with Permit Counter staff during open hours.