Obstruction Permit is required before blocking or obstructing any street parking, curb/gutter, sidewalk, or traffic lane. No Parking signs will be issued along OB Permit and are required to be posted 72 hours ahead of any obstruction. A minimum 5'-6" sidewalk clearance for pedestrian access is required.
Traffic Control Plan (TCP) approval is required when your project, worksite or limits of work meets at least one of the following conditions:
- Is located in a Holiday Restricted Street
- Is located in a Limited Operation Street
- Is within a street with commercially zoned land uses
- Has a work area of one city block, or is greater than 300 feet, whichever is less
- Provide less than 5 feet, 6 inches of unobstructed sidewalk
- Requires lane closures or traffic detour for all work area sizes
- Requires full or partial closure of one or more signalized intersections
- Is expected to impact State (CalTrans) right-of-way
Apply By Email: email your completed application to DOTOnlinePermits@oaklandca.gov.
Apply In Person: The DOT Permit Counter is open to the public at our Permit Center on the 2nd Floor of 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza. Click here to schedule an appointment. Please note: masks are required for entry into City buildings.
If you have questions about the Obstruction Permit, please call the DOT Permit Counter at 510-238-3199 or email DOTOnlinePermits@oaklandca.gov.