Important: Oakland is developing a 10-year Equitable Climate Action Plan (ECAP). Let us know what you think.
Get a Reward for Reporting Illegal Dumping
The City of Oakland needs your help to deal with our community's illegal dumping problem
Report with Oak311 AppDownload
Report with Oak311 WebsiteVisit
Public Works Call Center(510) 615-5566
Illegal dumping is just that – illegal – it is against the Oakland Municipal Code: OMC 12.04.070 and CA Street and Hwy Code: § 5610.
You must meet the following requirements to receive a reward:
- Witnesses must provide their name and contact information (e.g., email and phone number) to the Public Works Call Center.
- Anonymous illegal dumping reports may be made to the City of Oakland, but anonymous reports will not be eligible for a reward.
- Witnesses must provide a signed statement describing the illegal dumping incident and offer any other available evidence, such as photos or video, when contacted by the City Attorney’s Office.
- If the reported illegal dumping incident proceeds to a hearing or judicial proceeding, witnesses must agree to appear and testify.
- The reported illegal dumping must result in a successful enforcement action (e.g., a conviction, finding of liability or settlement).
Amount of Reward:
- If the enforcement action results in the City of Oakland collecting any money, witnesses may receive $100 or half of all civil penalties collected, whichever is greater.
- If the enforcement action is uncontested but the City of Oakland receives no money before forwarding the matter to Collections, witnesses may receive a payment of $10.
- If the enforcement action is unsuccessful, witnesses are not eligible for a reward.
When reporting, please include:
- Photo of the incident
- License plate number and a description of involved vehicles
- Description of the offender(s)
- Description of the items dumped
- Time, date and location of incident you witnessed
- Your name and contact