File Property Owner Petition for Rent Increase or Exemption OnlineFile Online
Property Owner Petition Form for Rent Increases PDFDownload
Landlord Petition for Exemption from the Rent Adjustment ProgramDownload
Rent increases based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) are allowed. Rent increases based on banking also are allowed. Banking includes any CPI-based rent increase that the landlord delays. The property owner can impose these increases at a later date.
Property owners who want to increase rent more than the CPI increase must submit a petition.
Property owners may file petitions for:
- A certificate of exemption: Property owners may petition for exemption from the Rent Adjustment Program if they meet certain qualifications.
- Use the Landlord Petition for Exemption from the Rent Adjustment Ordinance to file.
- Approval of a rent increase above the annual CPI increase: Property owners who want to increase rent more than the CPI increase must submit a petition.
- Use the Property Owner Petition Form for the Rent Adjustment Program to file.
There is no filing fee for any petition, response or appeal.
- Please attach to the petition any copies of documents related to your case.
- You can update your contact information and add supporting documents up until 7 days before your set hearing date.
You can submit the petition online or download the form. You can submit your completed forms:
- Online through the application portal
- By mail
- In person at the Housing Resource Center on the 6th floor (250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 6th Floor, Oakland, CA 94602)
Consultants, lawyers, advocates, or other representatives may help file the petition and represent the tenant or owner during the hearing. They must be identified on the petition form or in a letter to Rent Adjustment Program.
250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Suite 5313
Oakland, California 94612