Apply for a seat on the Public Ethics Commission
Be a part of accountable government
Public Ethics Commission ApplicationApply Online
2019 PEC Commissioner Vacancy AnnouncementDownload
2019 PEC Commissioner ApplicationDownload application
The City of Oakland Public Ethics Commission (PEC) is now accepting applications to fill two PEC-appointed Commissioner positions, to begin in January 2020, as part of its seven-member volunteer citizen board. Applications are due on or before Friday, October 25, 2019.
Desired Skills and Abilities
Commissioners should represent a variety of backgrounds and professions so that the Commission, as a whole, provides a well-rounded perspective on Oakland City government, law, community building and engagement, leadership, program administration, enforcement, and policies related to campaign finance, ethics and transparency. Specifically, a Commissioner should be able to do the following:
1. Read, analyze, and understand written information and make decisions based on the information
2. Listen to public input, assess community needs, and make decisions about how to best accomplish the Commission’s goals
3. Understand the context in which the Commission operates within City government and the broader community
4. Communicate orally during a public, televised meeting
5. Collaborate effectively with other Commissioners, the public, City officials, and staff
6. Interpret rules, laws and policies and objectively apply a rule to a particular set of facts
7. Identify personal conflicts of interest or other factors that could lead to actual or perceived improper influence
8. Serve with fairness, openness, honesty, and integrity
9. Complete a Form 700 – Statement of Economic Interests annually, disclosing information such as one’s financial interests in investments, property, income, and gifts (to view a copy of a Form 700, contact Commission staff or visit www.fppc.ca.gov)
10. Adhere to all Commission-related laws and policies, including but not limited to the Oakland City Charter, Oakland Government Ethics Act, Oakland Sunshine Ordinance, Commission Complaint Procedures, and Commission Operations Policies (by-laws).
11. Must attend at least one Public Ethics meeting before appointment. The next meetings are October 7, and November 4, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.