Utility Meters

Relocating utility meters at or to a street-facing location requires Zoning review and/or Electrical or Plumbing Permits.

Date Posted: January 11th, 2022 @ 5:00 PM
Last Updated: June 10th, 2022 @ 1:58 PM

When Is a Permit Required?

Utility meter icon

Zoning review is required to relocate a utility meter at or to a street-facing location, though NO Zoning permit or fees are required. Side or rear placement is preferred. However, if it must be located at a street-facing location and may be visible from the public right-of-way, it must be screened (you may propose a large potted plant in front of it, for example). Electrical and/or Plumbing Permits will also be required. New utility meter installations may also require a Creek Protection Permit.

You may view the Planning Code regulations online under OMC 17.124.045.

Who Can Be Issued a Permit?

  1. Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
  2. Owners of a building or their legal representative.

How to Apply


Ready to get started? First, make sure you are registered and activated at our Online Permit Center. For instructions, please visit our Planning & Building Video Tutorials webpage.

STEP ONE: Zoning Review (Street-Facing Meters)

  • Submit a Zoning Worksheet through our Online Permit Center*
    * NOTE: You will be taken to our login page first before you can submit a Zoning Worksheet
  • In the Worksheet, upload your all site photos, a site plan, elevations and/or a cut sheet for vendor
  • A planner will review your submission
  • Once approved, you will receive confirmation from the Zoning Division

STEP TWO: Building Permit

For electrical meters:

For gas meters:


Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. For the latest processing estimates, please see our Average Permit Processing Turnaround Times webpage.


Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit Questions Portal. You may also schedule an appointment with Permit Counter staff during open hours.

Additional Resources