A permit must be obtained before installing any solar system on a residential, commercial, industrial, or other type of building or structure.
Solar Energy Systems & Facilities
Solar energy systems are any solar collector, solar energy device, or structural design whose primary purpose is to provide for the collection, storage, and distribution of solar energy for space heating, space cooling, electric generation, or water heating. Before installing a solar system or facility, you must submit a completed permit application along with all required documentation as outlined.
Last Updated: May 26th, 2021 @ 8:55 AM
- Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
- Owners of a building or their legal representative.
- Site plans
- Roof plans
- Framing details
- Structural calculations (required for ballasted, ground-mounted, or elevated systems)
- Information on your mounting system
- Completed Self-Certification questionnaire
APPLY VIA E-MAIL:
Complete and submit the Application for Solar Systems & Facilities. Once complete, e-mail your completed application form and all associated plans and documents to PermitInfo@oaklandca.gov or via our Digital Inbox for applications over 20MB.
Apply Online through Accela Citizen Access (must be a registered and activated user)
Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. If your plans are approved, we will contact you to issue your permit. Depending on our workload, the process may take between 2-4 weeks from the date we receive your application to the date when we issue your permit.
Call (510) 238-3891 or e-mail PermitInfo@oaklandca.gov