Two-Unit Residential Development and Parcel Subdivision Resulting in Two Lots Under Senate Bill 9 (SB-9)

A new State of California law (SB-9) requires the City to create a ministerial approval process for single-family residential zoned lots to 1) approve two residential units on a single-family lot and/or 2) subdivide a single-family parcel into two separate lots, enabling the creation of either a single-family home or two residential units on each resulting parcel.

Date Posted: January 1st, 2022 @ 12:00 AM
Last Updated: June 27th, 2022 @ 11:26 AM

What Can I Do?

If you own a single-family home on a lot located within single-family residential zones, the Hillside Residential Zone (RH) or Detached Unit Residential Zone (RD-1), but NOT located within the Very High Fire Hazard Severity Zone (VHFHSZ), might be eligible for:

  • Two-Unit Residential Development: Two homes may be created on an eligible single-family residential parcel, whether the proposal adds up to two new residential units or adds one new unit to one existing unit.
  • Single-Family Parcel Subdivision: An eligible single-family residential parcel may be split one time into two parcels of no less than 1,200 square feet. This could result in up to four units (up to two residential units on each resulting parcel) so long as certain objective standards are met and there is no unmitigable environmental impact.
SB-9 Residential Development Options
SB-9 Residential Development Options

Is My Parcel Eligible?

  • An application form below includes a zoning criteria checklist to establish eligibility of a single-family residential zoned parcel. Please review it carefully for details not listed here.
  • Only parcels that are zoned single-family residential in the RH or RD-1 zones and not within the Very High Fire Hazard Severity Zone (VHFHSZ) may be considered. Please check this online Zoning Map to see if your parcel is within the single-family residential zones and outside of the VHFHSZ. However, location alone does not establish eligibility.
  • Other factors including a parcel's location in environmentally sensitive or hazardous areas or location within a historic district may affect eligibility. Please review the application zoning criteria checklist for full details by following the link below.
  • Planning/Zoning requirements are based on objective standards and do not require the Regular Design Review process.

Who Can Be Issued a Permit?

  • Owners of an eligible single-family parcel or their legal representative.

How to Apply


Ready to get started? First, make sure you are registered and activated at our Online Permit Center. For instructions, please visit our Planning & Building Video Tutorials webpage.

Download the Planning Application For Ministerial Approval of Two-Unit Residential Development or Parcel Subdivision Resulting in Two Lots With Residential Units On Each Lot (SB-9) and follow these steps:

STEP ONE: Planning/Zoning Review
  • Complete all required information, zoning criteria checklist, documents, affidavits, and plans as outlined in the Zoning Requirements section of the SB 9 Application
  • Submit a Zoning Worksheet through the Online Permit Center*
    * NOTE: You will be taken to our login page first before you can submit a Zoning Worksheet
  • In the Worksheet, upload your completed application and all associated plans and documents
  • A planner will review your submission and contact you if any additional materials are required
  • If proposing a residential lot split a Tentative Parcel Map review is required by the City Surveyor
  • A decision will be made on your application
STEP TWO: Building Permit (after receiving Planning approvals)
  • Submit a Building Worksheet through our Online Permit Center*
    * NOTE: You will be taken to our login page first before you can submit a Building Worksheet
  • In the Worksheet, upload your completed Building Permit Application, including a description of all Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) work to be performed, and all required documents as outlined in the Submittal Checklist for New Construction

Refer to the following Building permit resources as applicable:


Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. For the latest processing estimates, please see our Average Permit Processing Turnaround Times webpage.


Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit Questions Portal. You may also schedule an appointment with Permit Counter staff during open hours.

Additional Resources