Info: The mayors of Oakland & San Francisco have challenged each other to a Battle for the Bay on Creek to Bay Day, Sept. 21.
Disposable Food Service Ware Requirements
Restaurants in Oakland must follow certain requirements when providing disposable food service ware and straws.
Email Recycling HotlineFor technical assistance or report of violation
Call Recycling Hotline510-238-7283
How is the Disposable Food Service Ware ordinance enforced?
- Patrons and Inspectors report to the City when they see violations.
- Businesses receive a Notice of Violation and may receive a fine of up to $500.
What does the Disposable Food Service Ware ordinance say?
- Oakland food vendors may only use BPI Certified compostable food service ware.
- Oakland food vendors may not use polystyrene foam disposable food service ware.
- Oakland food vendors may only provide straws upon request (except for to-go service).
Who has to follow the Disposable Food Service Ware ordinance?
- All Oakland food vendors selling prepared food—including restaurants, delis, fast-food establishments, vendors at fairs and food trucks. All City facilities must also follow the ordinance.
What are BPI Certified compostable food service ware products?
- Search for products you need at the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) website.
- Ask your food service supplier for BPI Certified products.