Email Recycling HotlineFor technical assistance or report of violation
Call Recycling Hotline510-238-7283
How is the Disposable Food Service Ware ordinance enforced?
- Patrons and Inspectors report to the City when they see violations.
- Businesses receive a Notice of Violation and may receive a fine of up to $500.
What does the Disposable Food Service Ware ordinance say?
- Oakland food vendors may only use BPI Certified compostable food service ware.
- Oakland food vendors may not use polystyrene foam disposable food service ware.
- Oakland food vendors may only provide straws upon request (except for to-go service).
Who has to follow the Disposable Food Service Ware ordinance?
- All Oakland food vendors selling prepared food—including restaurants, delis, fast-food establishments, vendors at fairs and food trucks. All City facilities must also follow the ordinance.
What are BPI Certified compostable food service ware products?
- Search for products you need at the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) website.
- Ask your food service supplier for BPI Certified products.