Research Plans and Permit Records

The City of Oakland archives building plans and original permits issued for properties in Oakland. If you have questions, please call us at (510) 238-8354 or e-mail To make an online request, please visit:

Research Permits
Online Permit Center (Accela Citizen Access)
Research Records
Public Records Request
Retrieve Forms
Related Request Forms
Date Posted: August 31st, 2018 @ 3:44 PM
Last Updated: May 7th, 2021 @ 4:00 PM

Please Note: The guidelines below have been temporarily superseded due to the ongoing pandemic and per State, County, and Local guidance. Please refer to the document titled "Viewing or Copying Archived Plans or Permits" for current processes for viewing and/or duplicating records.

Viewing a Plan or Permit

  • You cannot see all plans and permits online. If you do not know the permit number, please call us.
  • Feel free to visit our office in person. Bring a form of identification (e.g., Driver License)
  • City staff will determine if the plan or permit is recorded as being in our permanent archives.
  • The City is not required to keep all plans and all permits issued by the City.
  • Tell the staff on duty that you have been notified that the plan or permit you requested has been delivered. Our office hours are from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, except Wednesdays when we open at 9:30 am. Please check the City’s website for holidays when City offices are closed.
  • Staff will bring the document to the counter and take your identification. A viewing table is available in the lobby.
  • You can not take documents outside of the Permit Center. You cannot trace or photograph the documents.
  • When you have finished reviewing the document, return it to the Information Station and retrieve your identification.

Making Copies of Plans and Permits

  • You must have authorization from the owner of the building and the planner who stamped the plans to make copies.
  • The authorization letters must be original. We will not accept copies.
  • If you cannot get authorization, call us for assistance.
  • Owners must present proof of ownership (Grant Deed or other documentation from Alameda County which serves as proof of ownership).
  • You must make arrangements directly with an authorized blueprint company for copying services. The blueprint company will pick-up the original plan, duplicate it, and return it to Building Services.
  • You can work with the blueprint company for your copies to be delivered to you.
  • Original authorization letters must be submitted prior to the release of plans to a blueprint company.

Authorized companies that provide duplicating services:

Graphic Reproduction
2327 Union Street
Oakland, CA
(510) 268-9980

American Reproduction Co.
1700 Jefferson Street
Oakland, CA
(510) 287-5485

East Bay Blueprint & Supply Co.
1745 14th Avenue
Oakland, CA
(510) 261-2990