Shared Mobility Principles

City of Oakland's guiding principles on shared mobility, including bikeshare, carshare, and scootershare.

Sidewalk Certification FAQ

Sidewalk repairs must be completed at the time of title transfer or the permitting of a major renovation. This page provides answers to frequently asked questions for property owners, sellers, and buyers.

Sidewalk FAQ

Property owners in Oakland are responsible for repairing damaged sidewalks adjacent to their property per state and local laws. Sidewalk Permits from the City are required for sidewalk repairs larger than 25 square feet. A licensed contractor should perform all other repairs.


Business signs direct attention to a commodity, service, business, or profession which is conducted or offered on the same lot.

Single-Family Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)

ADUs are attached or detached accessory dwellings that provide independent living for one or more people, including permanent facilities for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation. ADUs require both Planning/Zoning and Building Bureau review.

Small Business Networks

Join local organizations that will help you grow your network and get advice about your business

Small Business Week 2021

Oakland will mark National Small Business Week (May 2-8, 2021) with a variety of free workshops and events.

Smoke Testing in Sewers

Smoke Testing is used to detect issues in the sewer. The smoke is non-toxic and non-hazardous and is manufactured specifically for this purpose.

Solar Energy Systems & Facilities

Solar energy systems are any solar collector, solar energy device, or structural design whose primary purpose is to provide for the collection, storage, and distribution of solar energy for space heating, space cooling, electric generation, or water heating. Before installing a solar system or facility, you must submit a completed permit application along with all required documentation as outlined.

Start the Eviction Process

To begin the eviction process, a property owner must first serve the tenant a notice of eviction or a notice terminating tenancy.