New Single Family House

For new houses, regular Design Review (DR) and a Building Permit is required. The application will start with review by the Bureau of Planning.

Date Posted: November 17th, 2020 @ 4:38 PM
Last Updated: July 30th, 2021 @ 3:28 PM

When Are Permits Required?

Single-Family Home icon

Regular Design Review (DR) is required for the construction of one (1) new primary dwelling unit (i.e., a Single Family House), other than an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). The project must obtain Design Review approval from the Bureau of Planning prior to submitting the required Building Permit application. The Building Permit for a new single-family house includes all related Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) work within the building, and must be obtained before any construction work begins. Separate Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) permits for the project are not required.

Who Can Be Issued a Permit?

  1. Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
  2. Owners of a building or their legal representative.

How to Apply

Step One: Design Review
  • Submit a completed Basic Application for Development Review and Design Review Findings
  • Include plan sets as required in the Basic Application for Development Review submittal
  • A planner will review your submission
  • Once approved, you will receive a decision letter from the Bureau of Planning
Step Two: Building Permit
  • Submit your Building Permit application, including a description of all Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) work that will be performed
  • Include plan sets as required by the Submittal Checklist for New Construction

Refer to the following forms and checklists as applicable:


To get started, complete the following:

Once complete, e-mail your completed application form(s) and all associated plans and documents to or via our Digital Inbox for applications over 20MB.


Once we receive your application, staff will contact you regarding your intake appointment during which your submittal will be reviewed for completeness. It is recommended that you are available for questions during that appointment, but not required.


Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit Questions Portal.

Additional Resources