The City of Oakland is joining California’s groundbreaking meal delivery service to support Oakland’s seniors and local food businesses during the COVID-19 public health crisis. The Great Plates Delivered Program is a partnership between FEMA, the State of California, the City of Oakland, and non-profit World Central Kitchen. The City is currently identifying restaurants that can assist in this initiative. All participating seniors must be residents of the City of Oakland.
Great Plates Delivered aims to:
- Assist seniors and other adults in Oakland at high risk from COVID-19 to stay home, stay healthy, and stay nourished by delivering three meals a day, and
- Provide essential economic opportunities to local businesses struggling to make ends meet during the COVID-19 crisis.
Restaurants - Apply to Join Program
The Great Plates Delivered Program is a partnership between FEMA, the State of California, the City of Oakland, and non-profit World Central Kitchen. The City’s goal is to work with multiple providers in order to serve as many Oakland seniors as needed. If you have questions please email email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply to receive meals?
You may qualify if you are...
- 65 or older, or
- Age 60-64 and at high-risk by the CDC
- 60 years or older and tested positive for COVID-19 and does not require hospitalization but needs isolation or quarantine
- 60 years or older and was exposed to COVID-19 and does not require hospitalization but needs isolation or quarantine
- Live alone or with one other program-eligible adult
- Are not currently receiving assistance from other state or federal nutrition assistance programs like CalFresh/Snap or Meals on Wheels
- Earn less than $74,940 (single) or $101,460 (2-person)
- Live in the City of Oakland
Do you verify my income or that I can’t obtain or prepare my own meals?
We will ask about your income and ability to obtain and prepare meals during the screening process. You will self-attest to these questions. We will not ask for your proof of income.
I have special dietary needs. Is Great Plates Delivered able to meet these needs?
On the form to sign up for the program you can indicate if you need any special dietary considerations. We may not be able to accommodate all dietary preferences. We are taking into account the dietary needs for health, religions, and personal reasons in the selection process for the restaurants participating in the program.
What does it cost to participate?
There is no cost to eligible participants .
How long will the program be available?
Currently the program has been extended to run through June 10, 2020.
How many seniors will receive assistance?
The City aims to assist all qualified seniors in Oakland through Great Plates Delivered.
How many meals per day will be available to me?
A maximum of four meals per day (two (2) lunches and two (2) dinners) per participant are provided three times per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), for a total of 12 meals per week. We aim to cover lunch and dinner needs Monday through Saturday.
Can I choose my restaurant?
Unfortunately, no. Restaurants are assigned based on delivery capacity, dietary needs, among many other factors.
What safety precautions are being taken?
Business and individuals providing delivery of meals will complete a background check to ensure safety of participants. All restaurants have passed Alameda County health inspections, and restaurant owners and managers will closely monitoring the symptoms of their staff.
I don’t live in Oakland, can I still get meals?
You will not be able to participate in Oakland’s Great Plates Delivery program, but there may be other options for you.
- If you live in Alameda County, call 2-1-1
- Visit oaklandca.gov/food for information on additional food distribution sites in Oakland.
Still have questions?
Call the City of Oakland’s Great Plates Delivered Team at 510-238-FOOD (3663) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.