Foundation Repair & Replacement

Foundation repair or replacement may be necessary when your foundation is sinking, settling, or cracking.

Date Posted: November 17th, 2020 @ 4:38 PM
Last Updated: May 12th, 2022 @ 11:04 AM

When Is a Permit Required?

Foundation replacement graphic

A Building Permit is required to repair or replace any part (or all) of a building's foundation system.

Who Can Be Issued a Permit?

  1. Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
  2. Owners of a building or their legal representative.

How to Apply

Be prepared to provide the following:
  • Completed Building Permit application
  • Construction plans
  • Structural Calculations (as applicable)

Refer to the following as applicable:


Ready to get started? First, make sure you are registered and activated at our Online Permit Center. For instructions, please visit our Planning & Building Video Tutorials webpage.

  • Submit a Building Worksheet through our Online Permit Center*
    * NOTE: You will be taken to our login page first before you can submit a Building Worksheet
  • In the Worksheet, upload your completed Building Permit Application including a description of any MEP work to be performed and all associated documents

For one or two-story residential buildings, you may use our Standard Foundation Details (see list above). Depending on the complexity of the project, you may still be required to submit custom foundation plans.


Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. If your plans are approved, we will contact you to issue your permit. For the latest processing estimates, please see our Average Permit Processing Turnaround Times webpage.


Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit Questions Portal. You may also schedule an appointment with Permit Counter staff during open hours.

Additional Resources