A Building Permit is required to repair or replace any part (or all) of a building's foundation system.
Foundation Repair & Replacement
Foundation repair or replacement may be necessary when your foundation is sinking, settling, or cracking.
Last Updated: July 26th, 2021 @ 3:56 PM
- Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
- Owners of a building or their legal representative.
- Completed Building Permit application
- Construction plans
- Structural Calculations (as applicable)
Refer to the following as applicable:
- Building Permit Worksheet
- Standard Foundation Details: Perimeter T Foundation for Exterior Walls with Girder
- Standard Foundation Details: Concrete Foundation Cap
- Standard Foundation Details: Perimeter Monolithic Foundation for Exterior Walls
APPLY VIA E-MAIL:
Complete the following:
- Application Worksheet for Building Permits (required, including a description of any MEP work)
For one or two-story residential buildings, you may use our Standard Foundation Details (see list above). Depending on the complexity of the project, you may still be required to submit custom foundation plans.
Once complete, e-mail your completed application form(s) and all associated plans (or standard details) and related documents to permitInfo@oaklandca.gov or via our Digital Inbox for applications over 20MB.
Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. If your plans are approved, we will contact you to issue your permit. Depending on our workload and the complexity of the project, the process may take between 2-6 weeks from the date we receive your application to the date when we issue your permit.
Call (510) 238-3891 or find quick answers through our Permit Questions Portal.