Let us know what you think. Please take this survey to help us improve access to City services.
The basic steps to preparing for Zero Waste at your Oakland event include:
- Submit Recycling Plan (90 days before event)
- Arrange for any Zero Waste Zone event resources (at least 10 days before event)
- If applicable, request collection services from chosen service provider (at least 10 days before event)
Recycling Plan Required
If you expect 2000 or more participants per day, and the event either
(1) charges a fee to attend or participate, or
(2) is hosted by a city or other local agency*,
then you are required to complete and submit an Oakland Recycles Event Recycling Plan at least 90 days before the event and submit a brief report after the event.
*Public agency sponsorship includes direct event funding, operation, or use of public facilities such as parks, streets, or buildings for an event.
Zero Waste Event Resources
The Recycling Program has resources to help ensure that your event is as Zero Waste as possible:
- Zero Waste Zones (ZWZ) available for public space collection
- Eye-level, fabric signs to indicate each material stream
- Resources to print your own signs or customize your own
- Event Recycling Guide
- Technical assistance to plan collection services, vendor training, public education and other Zero Waste initiatives
If you would like to use any of the resources listed, or are required by state law, you must complete an Event Recycling Plan at least 90 days before the event.
The Zero Waste Zone equipment is offered on a first come, first served basis. To ensure availability, submit a Zero Waste Zone Tool Reservation form as soon as possible and no later than least 10 days before the event.
Collection Services Available
Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc. (WMAC) is the franchised service provider for trash and compost collection for all special events in the City. WMAC provides collection in a variety of container types and sizes to suit a diversity of events and materials.
Recycling in Oakland is “open-market.” There are several recycling service providers, including WMAC, from which to choose.
Review the 2018-19 rate sheet for trash, compost, and recycling collection options and associated costs, or call WMAC at (510) 613-8710. Note that before you request special event collection service, you must first consult with the City of Oakland Recycling Program to ensure compliance with recycling requirements.
Not sure where to start? Need help completing the forms or have questions about planning?
Contact the Recycling Hotline at (510) 238-SAVE (7283) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.