A Curb, Gutter, Sidewalk (CGS) permit is required to install, eliminate, widen, or repair an existing driveway, or to repair or cut into a curb, gutter, or sidewalk, among other projects. Initial Zoning approval is required. A CGS permit is issued by Oakland's Department of Transportation.
Curbs, Gutters, Sidewalks & Driveways
If you're installing, expanding, eliminating or repairing a driveway, or cutting into a curb, gutter, or sidewalk, Zoning approval is required. After zoning approval, applications may be submitted to the Department of Transportation (DOT).
Last Updated: July 16th, 2021 @ 4:01 PM
Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate
- Site plan that meets the following requirements:
- Driveways serving adjacent lots under different ownership must be separated edge-to-edge by at least ten (10) feet; where curbs exist, the separation shall be by at least ten (10) feet of the full vertical curb.
- Driveways serving Residential Facilities with one (1) or two (2) dwelling units on one lot shall be not more than nineteen (19) feet in width for the front twenty (20) feet of the lot, with a curb cut no more than nineteen (19) feet in width, and shall be limited to one driveway and one driveway curb cut per lot frontage.
- On lots with only Residential Facilities, paved surfaces within required street-fronting yards shall be limited to fifty percent (50%) on interior lots and thirty percent (30%) on corner lots.
- Parking space location is subject to neighborhood context (OMC 17.116.300).
- A regular parking space shall be not less than eighteen (18) feet
long and eight and one-half feet (8½) wide.
APPLY VIA E-MAIL:
Complete the following:
- Basic Application for Development Review (for Zoning Review, pages 1 & 2)
Once we receive your application we will review your site plan. If your plan requires corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. If your plan is approved, we will contact you. The next step will be for you to submit to DOTOnlinePermits@oaklandca.gov with a copy of your approval email.