Residential Building Combination (RBC) Permit

A Residential Building Combination (RBC) Permit is required for an addition, alteration or new construction of a house, duplex, or Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). It includes mechanical, plumbing and electrical work.

Date Posted: November 17th, 2020 @ 4:38 PM
Last Updated: January 20th, 2021 @ 7:56 PM

When Is a Permit Required?

Home Graphic Icon

A Residential Building Combination (RBC) Permit is a permit type that includes all related Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) work within the building, and must be obtained before any construction, alteration, or addition work begins. Separate Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) permits for the project are not required. Descriptions of all MEP work to be performed must be included on your Application Worksheet for Building Permits (see below).

Common project types include:

  • Houses
  • Duplexes
  • Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) that are associated with houses or duplexes

Who Can Be Issued a Permit?

  1. Contractors who are licensed by the State of California with a classification appropriate for the work that will be performed and have a current Business Tax Certificate.
  2. Owners of a building or their legal representative.

How to Apply

Be prepared to provide the following:
  • Completed Building Permit application, including description of any Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing (MEP) work that will be performed
  • Plans for projects that contain new, relocated or demolished walls; framing for roofs or floors; or alterations to the foundation of a structure (refer to applicable checklists below for additions/alterations or new construction)
  • Approval from Planning/Zoning (as applicable)

Refer to the following as applicable:


Complete the following:

Once complete, e-mail your completed application form(s) and all associated plans and documents to or via our Digital Inbox for applications over 20MB.


Registered and activated users of Accela Citizen Access may apply online for the following types of projects ONLY:

  • Installation of retrofit windows
  • Bath remodels with no change to the wall layout
  • Kitchen remodels with no change to the wall layout

Apply Online through Accela Citizen Access (must be a registered and activated user)


Once we receive your application and have created it in our system, we will review your plans. If your plans require corrections or if we need further information, we will contact you. If your plans are approved, we will contact you to issue your permit. Depending on our workload, the process may take between 10-13 weeks from the date we receive your application to the date when we issue your permit.


Call (510) 238-3891 or e-mail

Additional Resources