City of Oakland offices are closed today, Monday, February 18, in observance of Presidents' Day.
The Grand Avenue Road Diet will improve safety and access for all roadway users including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders including:
- Reduced number of lanes for pedestrians to navigate when crossing Grand Ave
- Enhanced visibility for pedestrians crossing Grand Ave
- Improved access and safety for bicyclists
- Improved compliance with posted speed limits
- Reduced conflicts and collisions for vehicles turning on to and off of Grand Ave
- Improved safety for vehicles turning left
The two existing travel lanes in each direction will be changed to one vehicle lane and a bicycle lane each way, and a center two-way left turn lane. Please see the street cross-section below.