For Immediate Release:
March 23, 2023
Spike in Commercial Burglaries
The Oakland Police Department (OPD) has seen a recent spike in commercial burglaries citywide.
In several cases, multiple individuals force entry into a business using a tool or object before taking items from the establishment and fleeing the area in a vehicle.
OPD is actively investigating each of these commercial burglaries. If you are a victim or have information regarding any of these incidents, please call 510-238-3951.
To reduce the risk of our community members from becoming a victim of crime, OPD hopes you consider the following safety tips and recommendations:
- Don’t leave large amounts of money in the safe.
- Install operable surveillance cameras for the interior and exterior of the business.
- Install alarms with motion sensors on the inside of the business.
- Hire private security to monitor all the business.
- For businesses with an indoor ATM, install obstacles such as steel or cement bollards in front of doors and windows.
OPD Commanders have begun deploying additional officers to areas of the city that have experienced an increase in residential burglaries.
Working together, we can reduce violence in Oakland.