New investment will add Civilian Ambassadors to Oakland’s Retail Districts, Improve Public Safety in Downtown Oakland and Neighborhood Business Districts
LINK to video of press conference here: http://bit.ly/3VksnsP
Oakland, CA – Joined by the Chamber of Commerce, local business organizations, and Oakland Police, Mayor Libby Schaaf announced two new initiatives that will immediately enhance safety in Oakland’s shopping districts through the holiday season and improve overall safety in Downtown Oakland for returning workers and visitors.
The Mayor will bring forward the item for a vote at a special City Council meeting Tuesday. Additionally, OPD announced its “Holiday Safety Strategy” to increase presence in business locations where people shop and dine.
Speakers at the press conference include (in order of appearance) Mayor Libby Schaaf, Andrew Jones, Co-Owner and Operations Manager of Oakland Venue Management and Program Director of Downtown Oakland Association, OPD Asst. Chief Darren Allison, and Cathy Adams, President and CEO of the Oakland African American Chamber of Commerce.
The two public safety initiatives announced were:
1. Shop Safe Oakland:
- Immediate expansion of civilian ambassadors and security used in shopping areas through the holidays.
- Grants to commercial organizations to help store owners purchase and install additional security and improve lighting.
- Expanded coordination and shared communications equipment between OPD and commercial organizations.
2. Welcome Back Downtown:
- Immediate expansion of daytime security and civilian ambassadors.
- Creation of new nighttime security ambassadors.
- Nighttime traffic control and illegal vending enforcement.
- Grants to downtown building owners to help purchase and install additional security improvements and improve lighting.
Shop Safe in Oakland Partners:
• Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
• African American Chamber of Commerce
• Chinatown Chamber of Commerce
• Oakland Vietnamese Chamber/Little Saigon
• Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
• Downtown/Uptown Oakland Association
• Koreatown/Northgate BID (Kono)
• Temescal/Telegraph BID
• Chinatown BID
• Jack London Improvement District
• Laurel District Association
• Dimond Improvement Association
• Rockridge District Association
• Montclair Village Association
• Lakeshore BID
• Unity Council/Fruitvale
A copy of the Council Report and proposed resolution attached.
# # #