The City’s Planning & Building Department recently launched an enhanced online permit portal offering users more choices among application types and services. In this major overhaul of the system, the department has increased the types of permits customers may apply for online, streamlined the website appearance for more clarity, and expanded access to key services. Collectively, these updates help to create a more comprehensive way for the community to submit applications for services 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the applicant’s convenience.
“With our counters at City Hall closed at the moment for in-person, real-time services, we are pleased to provide more service options that the community can access at their convenience,” said William Gilchrist, Director of Planning & Building Department. “We’re excited with these latest upgrades and encourage the public to visit us online.”
Customers must be registered users in the City’s Accela Citizen Access (ACA) system. Users can now apply for a total of 12 Building permit types including:
- Solar Electric Panels
- Residential Building Combination (1-2 units only), Kitchen Remodel and/or Bathroom Remodel and/or Window Replacement; will also include any related Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing work
- Residential Building Alteration (3-5 units), including Kitchen Remodel and/or Bathroom Remodel and/or Window Replacement; separate permits required for related Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing work
- Non-Residential Building Alteration (6 units and above or commercial), including Kitchen Remodel and/or Bathroom Remodel and/or Window Replacement; separate permits required for related Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing work
- Non Residential Mechanical Alteration
- Non Residential Plumbing Alteration
- Non Residential Electrical Alteration
- Reroofing Certificate
- Insulation Certificate
- Residential - Plumbing
- Residential - Mechanical
- Residential – Electrical
The new system also offers personalized support for registered users with the new Permit Wizard. The Wizard is an online tool that walks customers through the process of categorizing the project and directing the user to all required applications and forms.
Additional services available within the system include:
- Permit Status Updates and Printing – The Permit Center now allows users to log in and check current permit status. It also sends automatic e-mail updates for projects whenever there is a status change in the permitting process. Once the permit is issued, users can now print the permits right from their home or office. View the Permit Status Updates page for definitions of each stage in the permitting process.
- Schedule & Prepare for an Inspection – The new Building Inspection app has been integrated into the Online Permit Center. Learn more on the Schedule a Building Inspection page. Once an inspection is scheduled, users can print the Inspection Card on card stock and display it on-site in preparation for inspection.
- Pay Fees – Users can now pay permit fees for projects online by logging into the Permit Center portal and clicking the "Pay Fee" icon.
- File a Code Enforcement Complaint – Users may file a complaint against residential or non-residential properties.
- Research – Users can file online Public Records Request to find Building, Planning, Code Enforcement or Fire-related records, history, documentation, or subpoenas. Microfiche records of old house drawings and plans approved prior to 1987 are also now available.
Full list of department contacts.
# # #