As Summer approaches and COVID-19 restrictions are being reduced, here are some helpful tips related to applying for and receiving a passport:
- Apply Early! In-Person appointments are currently booked 3-4 weeks out in most locations in the Bay Area. Most, if not all, facilities are by appointment only. Walk-ins are not accepted.
- Photo services are currently unavailable in our office but are available at various local retailers (Walgreens, CVS, FedEx, The UPS Store, Costco (membership required), AAA (membership required)).
- Be sure to double-check your photo to ensure it meets proper passport photo standards. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html. If your photo doesn’t meet passport standards, this will delay you from receiving your passport.
- If booking an appointment with an Acceptance Facility, the fastest turnaround time to receive your passport will be 4-6 weeks, not including mail time. If you are looking to get your passport back sooner, consider applying for Priority Mail return service (1-2 days) for an additional $17.56.
- If you’re traveling within the next month, you will need to work with a Regional Passport Agency. Passport Agencies are accessible by appointment only and are reserved for extreme/urgent situations. You can schedule appointments here - https://passportappointment.travel.state.gov/
- Adults who are eligible to renew by mail are strongly encouraged to do so. Given the delays with scheduling appointments and now delays with sending and receiving mail, you cut down on the delay time by starting the process sooner. Unsure if you’re eligible to renew by mail? You can check here - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html
- Minor passports must be renewed in person.
- Mail delays are significantly impacting processing time. The Department of State is now reporting that mail delays are impacting receiving passports. For more information about mail delays and passports, please visit - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html