For Immediate Release December 3, 2021
OPD Homicide Division Close Nearly a Dozen Cases in November
The Oakland Police Department (OPD) Homicide Division continues to work around the clock to solve homicide cases and bring justice to families who have lost loved ones to homicide. This year, the Homicide Division has investigated 129 homicides in the City of Oakland. This represents a significant increase compared to prior years, in response Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong reassigned six additional investigators to work in the homicide section for a total of 16 homicide investigators. https://fb.watch/9Dzz-f_h1O/
The additional investigators allowed the department to solve 10 homicides in the month of November. All 10 solved homicides were charged by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office, bringing OPD’s homicide clearance rate to 44%.
- On June 25, 2021, Ukono Hall was fatally shot in the 5400 block of Bancroft Avenue. Charles Beal was arrested by OPD officers. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Beal with Hall’s murder.
- On August 14, 2021, Victor Argueta-Casara was fatally shot in the 300 block of West MacArthur Boulevard. On November 17, 2021, officers with OPD’s Violent Crime Operation Center (VCOC) located and arrested a juvenile in Stockton. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged the juvenile with the murder of Argueta-Casara.
- On September 26, 2021, Sweet and Sam Mesui who are brothers, were fatally shot in the 3700 block of High Street. On November 23, 2021, Sam Veimau turned himself into officers. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Veimau with the murders of Sweet Mesui and Sam Mesui.
- On October 18, 2021, Carolina Carillo-Mendoza's body was found with a gunshot(s) in the 7800 block of Redwood Road. On November 2, 2021, OPD officers located and arrested Matias Mendoza-Mendoza. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Mendoza-Mendoza with the murder of Carillo-Mendoza.
- On October 21, 2021, Ersie Joyner was a victim of a robbery in the 1700 block of Castro Street. During the robbery, Joyner shot and killed Desoni Gardner who was robbing Joyner along with Marlon King and Kamandre King. Joyner was shot multiple times by Marlon King. The investigation led to the identification of Joshua Hayles who was the driver of the vehicle in which the suspects fled.
Marlon King and Kamandre King were taken into custody in Elk Grove, California, and Hayles was taken into custody in Houston, Texas. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Marlon King, Kamanre King, and Hayles with Gardner’s murder.
- On October 29, 2021, Harold Jackson was fatally shot in the 900 block of 85th Avenue. On that same day, Leland Moore was arrested by OPD officers. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Moore with Jackson’s murder.
- On November 18, 2021, Mari Shaw and Jesse Willner were fatally shot in the 400 block of 17th Street. On that same day, Franz Gadient was arrested by OPD officers. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Gadient with the murders of Shaw and Willner.
- On November 2, 2021, Terrell Graham was fatally shot in the 5000 block of Melrose Avenue. On November 8, 2021, Jason Hathorn was arrested for attempted murder. On November 25, 2021, Graham succumbed to his injuries. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Hathorn with Graham’s murder.
Ceasefire continues to be the department’s primary strategy to address gun violence. Our VCOC leads our focused enforcement and apprehension efforts. In 2021, OPD has arrested 53 homicide suspects, supporting our message that OPD will make every effort to bring those responsible for these crimes to justice.
Anyone with information can contact the Homicide Section at (510) 238-3821 or the TIP LINE at (510) 238-7950.